Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mud Pie Kitchen

I have many fond childhood summertime memories.  One of which is concocting mud creations ~ beautiful pies and cakes made from mud, sand, leaves and berries.  As soon as I saw the idea for a mud pie kitchen on one of my favorite blogs, Rhythm of the Home, I started gathering supplies.

Our mud pie kitchen has been up for a month and the kids have been spending lots of time, playing and creating.  Would you like to see?  Follow me.  Our mud pie kitchen is hidden in a corner of the yard.

IMG_5462It is the perfect location on a hot summer day to “cook up” some fabulous mud pie creations!   The two chiefs are busy preparing something in the kitchen right now.

IMG_5466

I purchased two crates from Michaels for about $13.00 (using a coupon of course!). The rest of the items I found at Good Will or around the house.   I probably spent around $20 for everything.

IMG_5469

In the hanging wire baskets you can find stones and shells. The kids are using the bottom basket to place bowls and such as they dry.

IMG_5467

The shelf has pegs, where you can dry plants, or hang supplies.  The top shelf has a basket with tongs, spoons, etc. and provides extra space.

IMG_5469

One of the kids favorite kitchen items is a mortar and pestle. 

IMG_5477I had the perfect container for dirt, just sitting in the garage.  Do you know what the container was original used for?  If so, please don’t tell my kids ~ and yes I cleaned it with bleach! : )IMG_5476I planted some good smelling herbs (mint, lavender, and basil) for the kids to use.  I have since discovered that we have a groundhog in our yard who is also thankful for the small herb garden.

IMG_5465

One of the kids creations. IMG_5474

I just love summertime and mud pies!

~Cindy

11 comments:

Michelle said...

I've been wanting to do this ever since I saw Ginny's post. I love how you hid it away it its own little corner of your yard. Love all the little go-alongs as well. Your kids will have the same wonderful memories made even more special by your effort. =)

Amanda said...

YES!
im totally going to do this!!!

thanks for the inspiration.

Ticia said...

The crates are perfect. I've been thinking about doing this for a while, and that is the perfect way to do it!

Joesette said...

Yep, I gotta steal this one!

The Adventurer said...

What a fantastic idea. My kids love making garden concoctions. Going to look into doing this for them as well. Just love it!!!

child central station said...

I love your kitchen! I'm going to link it up to my outdoor inspiration page. Thanks :).

Ingrid said...

How fun and creative!

Stef Layton said...

what a fun idea !!!

Rebecca said...

LOVE this idea!!

trooppetrie said...

I am new to your blog and just wanted you to know I have really enjoyed it this morning

The Darrin Vegetarian said...

This is such an adorable kid's kitchen. Looks like a lot of fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails