About Wordy Qwerty
Wordy Qwerty is intended for children ages 7 to 9. The program helps with reading and spelling by providing the following foundations for fluency:
- Some sounds can be represented in several different ways.
- Most words follow about 20 easy spelling rules.
- There are many word families, (words that sound the same, or rhyme). By changing the first letter(s), you can make hundreds of words.
- Some words are "outlaws". They don't follow the rules. They must be recognized quickly and automatically.
- Writing to dictation develops vocabulary, comprehension and fluency as well as spelling skills.
- Reading (and filling in missing words) develops vocabulary, comprehension, and fluency skills.
Wordy Qwerty teaches these rules through the use of fun games and songs. You can hear a sample of some of the songs here.
This is have been a great addition to our language arts program. My daughter is not a confident speller yet and she tends to ask after EVERY LETTER if she is spelling something correctly. The program has been a blessing for me because I do not have to sit with her, therefore, she is not asking me constantly “Mom, is this right?” I have seen an improvement in her spelling and confidence! The games are challenging enough to keep her interest and the characters, Qwerty and Midi, are fun and quirky. My daughter’s favorite game is Pop-a-Word. You are given a sentence
and the you have to click on the balloons with the correct spelling of each word in the sentence in the correct order.
My only complaint with the program is the time it takes to load the games, which means my daughter has time to get sidetracked and distracted. Overall, we have enjoyed the program and I can see improvement in my daughter spelling and reading.
Find Out More
Want to give the program a try? You can download one free lesson (Silent E) and see what you think. Plus, if you join their mailing list you can get a coupon for 20% off your next order.
Wordy Qwerty is available online (a 5 year subscription) for the following cost:
You can read reviews by other TOS Crew Members here.
This product was given to me for review purposes, and I do not have to return the product to the vendor. I was not paid for this post. All opinions expressed in this post are mine.