Our week of vacation will soon be coming to an end and although it started out a little rough, the remainder of the week has been wonderful. We have relaxed, played and just enjoyed being together as a family. During the week we have been lucky to see so many amazing things:
- Pelicans ~ diving for a fish dinner.
- A river otter
- Two snakes
- At least three pods of dolphins playing in the water
- Beautiful seashells
- Crabs peaking out of their holes at us
- A rainbow that looked close enough that if we ran to it we would find a pot of gold at the end
My husband and I were talking about everything we have seen this week and he pointed out that the last time we came to the beach, we just didn’t stop to look at the things around. We were childless and wrapped up in ourselves and each other. You know what ~ he was right!
I bought this sign the other day because it grabbed at my heart.
This week my kids have taught me many lessons about what life is all about.
- They have taught me to stop and look at every shell, rock, crab, and wave with a sense of wonder. Never before have I noticed all the different colors of shells!
- They have taught me that giggles are contagious ~ if I take the time to stop, listen, and look at the joy on their faces.
- They have taught me that being serious isn’t always appropriate ~ sometimes I just need to be silly and drop my guard.
- They have taught me that it is more fun to have a swimsuit full of sand then it is to sit on the sidelines worrying that I might get sand in my pants!
- They have taught me that schedules can be good and sometimes those schedules just need to be pitched!
- They have taught me that some of the behaviors I don’t like in my kids are learned from me!
I teach my kids about life. I educate them and hopefully I’m teaching them to be God loving children, yet I have learned so much from my kids!