Sunday, January 18, 2009

Prayer Request

On Thursday morning Aiden was marching with a yard stick. (As the doctor later told me no story starting like this could end well.) He somehow broke the yard stick into three pieces. He was crying and complaning about his hand. As I was checking his hands I noticed that he couldn't straighten out his thumb. So by 8:30 a.m. we were off to the doctor's office. I thought his thumb was probably just dislocated. The doctor looked at his thumb and said he had never seen anything quite like it. The top part of his thumb was locked and it tilts out just a little. Aiden has not been in any pain except for when this first happened. Well, after x-rays and a trip to UVA's Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center they have decided he has trigger thumb. Trigger thumb is basically caused by a bump on your tendon that get stuck when it goes through a pulley. The pulley allows the tendon to move and stay in place. He is scheduled to have surgery at UVA on Wednesday morning. It is a fairly simple procedure but he has to have anesthesia which worries me. I'm trying to give all of my worries to God and trust in him, but it's hard when it's your kids. The doctor did assure me that he has probably always had this, however this was the first time that Aiden had flexed his thumb down far enough that is actually locked. Of course, I still have guilt about letting march with the yard stick!

1 comment:

Davene said...

Cindy, I'm so glad you started a blog!!! :)

Poor Aiden! I will pray that the surgery goes very smoothly and that your heart has peace through it all. And don't beat yourself up about marching with the yard stick: I've let my boys do that many times! It sounds like the issue with Aiden's thumb might have surfaced sometime anyway.

Have a great night; and again, welcome to the world of blogging!

Related Posts with Thumbnails