Friday, April 30, 2010

Preschool Corner ~ Butterflies


Butterflies and more butterflies ~ we had a fun week learning about butterflies and their life cycle.

Letter of The Week

We made a B is ButterflyIMG_2249

and Aiden practiced writing upper case Bs. IMG_2188

Book and Craft

We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Very Hungry Caterpillar

Our craft was a Caterpillar to Butterfly.  I cut an elongated oval from a folded sheet of brown construction paper, leaving the fold intact.  Aiden painted a caterpillar on one side   IMG_2235

the other side was left brown, to represent the chrysalis IMG_2263

and he painted a butterfly on the inside.IMG_2225

When we finished our craft we munched on some butterfly pretzels.  To make them dip pretzels in chocolate and then prop them up (like a tent) to dry.  IMG_2231

Lapbook

We put together a Butterfly lapbook.IMG_2252

One of Aiden’s favorite lapbook activities was feeding The Very Hungry Caterpillar as we read the book.IMG_2259

Math

Aiden had fun playing with the Butterfly Number Matching File Folder Game I made.  image

Click on the image to download. 

I hung the butterflies from the ceiling IMG_2139

and Aiden caught them with a butterfly net.  As he pulled them out of the net he told me the color of the butterfly and how many spots it had on its wings. IMG_2144

After he caught them he matched them to the flower with the correct number.IMG_2137

Science

We read From Caterpillar to Butterfly and made a Life Cycle of the ButterflyLittle green pop-poms represent the eggs IMG_2158

a pom-pom caterpillarIMG_2159

a chrysalis, which the kids made using an Easter Egg.  They covered the egg with Crayola Model Magic, adding a screw hook at the top to hang it, let it dry, and then painted it brown.  IMG_2164

The butterfly is also made out of an Easter Egg.  The kids made sure we adding the proboscis, so he could drink.IMG_2171
We attached everything to a tree branch that I hung on the wall.  (The tree branch didn’t last long, but the kids have enjoyed playing with the Butterfly Life Cycle.)IMG_2170

A couple of weeks ago we purchased a new butterfly cage from Lowes and it came with a certificate to order caterpillars (Painted Ladies).  We order our caterpillars right away!  God showed his perfect timing this week ~ as we were finishing up our butterfly week, two of our butterflies emerged from their chrysalis.    IMG_2196

Butterfly Races

I printed Penny Butterflies for the kids and they competed to see who could balance the butterfly the longest and walk the farthest without dropping the butterfly.IMG_2267 

Aiden’s Pick For The Week:

Playing games on Daddy’s Ipod Touch ~ educational of course!  IMG_2210

For more Preschool ideas and activities visit Preschool Corner!

~Cindy

15 comments:

phasejumper said...

LOVE this-especially the all-in-one craft and the snack! I'm planning a butterfly theme for my kids in June (that's when a local place has a butterfly show) and I might just "steal" all of these ideas! I'm also signing up to be a follower!

Unknown said...

Wow! What fun with learning. I love the B butterfly. :)

Jolanthe said...

That life cycle tree is too cute! :) And you know I love that little craft that you didn't show here!

Carisa said...

I LOVE your butterfly stuff! Especially the B and the painting craft! We are doing Very Hungry Caterpillar soon, and will definitely be borrowing some of your ideas!!!! ;-)

Ticia said...

I love the caterpillar to butterfly craft, what a cute idea!

sbswtp said...

What a fantastic post!!! There are so many great activities! So fun :) I love the pretzel butterflies!

Anonymous said...

What a fun week! The butterfly pretzels look delicious! I love the penny butterfly race :-)

Stacy said...

Thanks so much for sharing these ideas. We're doing a butterfly theme next week, so I plan on using some of these ideas. I was wondering where you got the feeding the very hungry caterpillar game. That looks so cute!

Catherine said...

Too sweet! I've done the butterfly unit many times, and I've never seen those chocolate pretzels or the folded construction paper craft. Making mental notes! :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is the best butterfly unit I've seen - so many great ideas. I am marking it up for possible future use. I especially liked the Easter egg chrysalis - so very inventive.

Rebecca said...

Wow- great activities!! I love the B butterfly and the pretzels!!

Debbie said...

You have done a great job. I love all the butterfly activities!

KJ said...

WOW. First time for me visiting your blog. I love EVERYTHING, especially the pretzel butterflies!!! Sooooo cute!

kewkew said...

Oh, my goodness, I don't know where to start. I couldn't even pick a favorite, all of these activities are so creative and cute. I want to try them all when we a)get to B with the little ones or b)do a unit on butterflies during the summer. I also am wondering about the feeding the hungry caterpillar game.

Doanh Doanh said...




eva air vn
mua vé máy bay đi mỹ
korean airline
vé máy bay đi mỹ bao nhiêu tiền
đặt vé máy bay đi canada
Nhung Chuyen Di Cuoc Doi
Du Lich Tu Tuc
Kien Thuc Du Lich





Related Posts with Thumbnails