Monday, April 19, 2010

Shrinky Dinks ~ Earth Day Pendant

I have been looking for Earth Day crafts and activities to do with the kids this week.  When I found an idea on DLTK’s Growing Together for making an Earth Day Shrinky Dink I was so excited!   I had some Shrinky Dink Paper just sitting on the shelf (yes, I’m a craft supply junkie!) waiting for such a craft.  

Emily and I used half a sheet of Shrinky Dink paper, to make 3 circles (Earths).  We used a permanent marker to outline them and draw the continents.  We punched a hole at the top, since we were making pendants, and colored them with crayons.

IMG_2023

To make it easier for Aiden, I colored the land green and he colored the ocean. 

IMG_2024

We put them in the oven, which I preheated to 350°, and the kids watched the magic of Shrinky Dinks!  It took about a minute for them to curl up and then flatten out again. IMG_2027

Here is what the pendants, Aiden and I made, looked like when they came out of the oven

IMG_2030

and Emily’s as a necklace.

IMG_2028

I remember playing with Shrinky Dinks when I was about Emily’s age, and mumble, mumble (I’d rather not say) years later, they are still  just as much fun!

~Cindy

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

What a fun Earth Day craft!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails